Fatties on the outside.

 Today is day one and I can't figure out what to write. I thought I would start by typing and see what my figures felt was a good idea. At our last union meeting, someone made a comment that incensed me. It was a discussion about vaccinations and I was upset that as a college professor I could not get one even though I am a teacher. You see I don't teach in a classroom. I have been sequester since last March. Well, a person said they had to wait for the obese people to be vaccinated and we don't hear them complaining. As an obese person of color who is much more likely than the thin White woman to contract and die of COVID-19, I was beyond pissed. However, I just left the gathering. After all, I could have yelled all day and she would not have gotten the message. Before that meeting, my school decided to put about 30% of classes back in the classroom. Our students were yelling for it and some of us did want to leave the house. However, there was no provision that we would be vaccinated before being sent back to the classroom, hence my point of contention. What really angered me was that people should know better. People who should be fighting on my side was tossing me under a bus and then angry because I said something about it. That is not how to build bridges or link the diverse areas of our community, which is what I thought was a tenant of unions. but why am I writing about it today a week later? It is still on my mind. Has come up in conversations I have had with other members of our union and finally, I need to let go of the anger and hoped writing it down would help. 

Comments

  1. Vondora,
    I can totally relate to being "pissed" about the union meeting. As an obese person, I was actually told in a rather flip way by a relative of mine that I qualify for the vaccine because I'm obese! People can be so insensitive. Even relatives!!!
    Orval

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A record of our accomplishments